We’re seeking the first new mutual bank charter granted in New Hampshire in 99 years.
By building bridges between communities and the food systems within them, we’re powering the revival of local, sustainable food in New England and New York. Our business has two sides, on one hand we’ll be lending to qualified food and farm businesses across the food value chain. On the other, we’re pursuing a state banking charter to open deposit accounts for anyone who [loves/eats/grows/cooks] local food in early 2022. We’ve chosen the mutual governance model because we intend to build an institution focused not on
the next quarter but on the next century. But a true mutual takes plenty of partners—as such, we’ll provide commercial loans, deposit products, and services to businesses across the sustainable food ecosystem. We’re excited to work with farms, non-food agriculture, as well as suppliers, wholesalers, manufacturers, and more who all contribute to our local food system.
As our Commercial Associate you will be responsible for supporting the Commercial Lenders throughout the loan relationship lifecycle. You’ll have a hand in business development, application, credit analysis, documentation preparation and review, loan closing and lien perfection, onboarding, servicing, and payoff processing. You’ll thrive in this role by understanding borrowers’ needs and welcoming tailored financial solutions. We’re looking for an ambitious teammate interested in learning and growing as we build our loan portfolio in the coming years.
What You’ll Do:
● Provide sales and service support to business depositors and borrowers; handle day-to-day functions that ensure operations run smoothly.
● Coordinate loan applications and closings with Commercial Lenders, attorneys, and Finance. Support loan pipeline management.
● Engage with third-party providers for services, including appraisals, environmental reports, flood determinations, credit reports, etc.
● Respond to issues and take responsibility to ensure resolutions are addressed. Operate independently and elevate issues as appropriate.
● Provide support for Finance, Operations and Cash Management functions. Duties may include reconciliations, research, maintenance, monitoring, testing, and processing transactions.
● Complete required compliance related bank training and other duties as assigned.
What You’ll Bring:
● Curiosity and drive to understand and contribute to Walden Mutual’s mission and strategic objectives.
● BA/BS degree or equivalent banking experience and certifications.
● 2-4 years professional experience. Customer facing work is a big plus!
● Strong communication with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Ability to perform work accurately and within assigned deadlines - capturing metrics to assist leadership in continuous improvement efforts.
● Ability to work independently and in a team environment; willingness to work on new endeavors and cross-functionally.
Bonus points if you have…
● An understanding of moderate to complex commercial loan products, services, documentation and procedures, and regulatory requirements.
● Experience in developing and documenting procedures or continuous improvement.
● Experience in a customer (partner) facing role.
● Experience working in sustainable operations, food or agriculture operations.
● Familiarity with banking and loan origination systems.
We offer competitive pay and benefits including health insurance, vacation time, paid sick time, paid Federal Holidays, and more. We’re building a team culture where everyone (including you!) can bring something to the table...whether it’s a 3,000 piece Lego bank or organizing our annual Walden Olympics.
When You Join Walden Mutual…
You’ll be contributing to a mission-driven startup committed to sustainable food and agriculture throughout the business communities in New England and New York. We’re building a diverse team that shares our passion. If you are inspired by ambitious missions and working hard to support borrowers and depositors, we’d love to meet you!